Vancouver Whitecaps FC drafted two speedsters at the 2013 Major League Soccer SuperDraft on Thursday with the 4th and 5th selections. Vancouver started the day by acquiring the fourth overall pick from Toronto FC in exchange for the tenth overall pick and allocation money.
With the fourth overall pick, the Whitecaps selected Generation adidas striker/winger Kekuta Manneh from Austin Aztex of the United Soccer Leagues (USL) Premier Development League (PDL). The ‘Caps then followed up the pick with striker/winger Erik Hurtado from Santa Clara University.
Kekuta Manneh – striker/winger
- Member of the Gambia’s U-20 national team
- 12 goals and nine assists in 13 appearances with Austin Aztex
- Scored 58 goals over the last two United States Soccer Development Academy (USSDA) seasons
Manneh, 18, joins Whitecaps FC after last playing for Austin Aztex in the United Soccer Leagues (USL) Premier Development League (PDL). The native of Madiba Kunda, The Gambia, was named to the 2012 PDL All-Central Conference team after leading the Aztex with 12 goals and nine assists in 13 matches.
Kekuta Manneh is excited to join the Whitecaps – Kekuta Manneh
Erik Hurtado – striker/winger
- Scored 15 goals and added seven assists as a senior with Santa Clara University
- Scored 33 goals and added 20 assists in four years at college
- All-West Coast Conference in 2010, 2011, and 2012
- Was a member of US U-18 national team
Hurtado, 22, joins Whitecaps FC after four outstanding seasons with Santa Clara. As a senior, the 5-foot-9, 180-pound forward scored 15 goals and added seven assists in 19 matches with the Broncos. As a result of his efforts, he was named the West Coast Conference Player of the Year.
Erik Hurtado talked about being drafted by Vancouver – Eric Hurtado
Both players will join the Whitecaps in Vancouver when training camp opens on January 20th, 2013.